PE and Health Major Learning Outcomes
Students who graduate with a major in athletic training will be able to:
- Demonstrate proper prevention, evaluation, rehabilitation, and documentation strategies used in athletic injury care;
- Demonstrate proper taping, wrapping, and protective equipment application for the athletic population;
- Demonstrate proper application of therapeutic modalities;
- Demonstrate proper emergency management skills required of an athletic trainer; and
- Identify and demonstrate professional and ethical behavior of an athletic trainer.
Students who graduate with a major in exercise science will be able to:
- Demonstrate the knowledge and skills needed for physical activity programming and lifestyle modification techniques;
- Demonstrate knowledge of history and broad content within exercise science and health topics and how that relates to health promotion;
- Demonstrate basic motor skills and patterns and apply a variety of concepts, theories, and methods common to human movement and health promotion;
- Apply the skills necessary to bridge the gap between theory and practice;
- Utilize statistical and measurement concepts to assess client performance and program effectiveness; and
- Demonstrate professional and ethical decision-making skills and responsibility as it relates to health promotion and programming.
Students who graduate with a major in health studies will be able to:
- Demonstrate content knowledge related to health;
- Analyze and describe performance concepts and strategies related to skillful movement and physical activity using task analysis activities;
- Demonstrate proper skills required for physical activities;
- Demonstrate proper evaluation and usage of assessment in implementing health enhancement programs; and
- Demonstrate professional and ethical behavior as it applies to health and sport programs.
Students who graduate with a major in sports management will be able to:
- Understand the role of sports in society, how it influences our culture, and how sports have been influence by culture;
- Demonstrate the ability and knowledge to be a leader in a sports-related work setting;
- Identify and address ethical issues related to sports management and administration;
- Understand the concepts of finance and budget and be able to apply them to the sports economy; and
- Use communication and technology skills effectively and appropriately within the sports-related environment.