Frequently Asked Questions by Students and Parents

Admissions - Academics - Housing - Athletics - Financial Aid and Expenses - General Questions

Student on campus

Is there an application deadline?

RMC is on a rolling admission, meaning there is no application deadline. There is a deadline for the Early Action program of February 15, 2014. To be eligible for Early Action, you will need to have completed the admission process and submitted your new student deposit of $250.

How long does it take to process an application, and when will the acceptance letter be mailed?

Once your application and requested documentation have been received, you will be notified of an admission decision within two weeks. You can track your application status through CampusPortal.

Is there an application fee, and if so, how much?

The application fee for first-year, transfer, and nontraditional students is $35 if you submit a paper application. If you submit your application online, our fee is waived. International students have a fee of $40 (USD).

What documents must be submitted to complete an application?

  • First-year students must submit a high school transcript (with six semesters completed) and an ACT/SAT test score.
  • Transfer students who have completed 27 or more transferrable credits must submit college transcripts from all previously attended institutions. Students who have completed less than 27 transferrable credits must submit college and high school transcripts.
  • International students must submit official or certified copies of secondary school transcripts, official post-secondary transcripts (if applicable), and official ACT/SAT test scores.
  • Nontraditional students must submit a high school transcript/GED, a personal essay, and two letters of recommendation.

Does the College require a minimum ACT/SAT for admission?

RMC requires a minimum ACT score of 21 and/or a minimum SAT score (math and reading) of 1000. Students not meeting the minimum test score may be considered for admission upon providing additional supporting information. These students should submit a personal essay along with two letters of recommendation, one of which must be from a high school guidance counselor or teacher.

Is an interview, recommendation, or essay required for admission?

No, but it can help strengthen your application and give the College a better idea of who you are. An essay and letters of recommendation will be required if minimum criteria is not met.

Is a physical examination required prior to admission?

No. Once you are admitted and have declared RMC as your final choice, we will need a copy of your medical history to make sure you are updated on all of your vaccines. However, if you are an athlete, you will have to have a sports physical before you can participate in practice. Aviation students must also pass a physical and hold at least a Class II medical certificate in order to fly.

Will the College accept the General Education Diploma (GED)?

Yes, we will, along with two letters of recommendation and an essay.

Will the College honor a home study program?

Yes. Home schooled students are required to submit the following for admission:

  • The evaluation of the home school instruction (transcripts); and
  • Scores from a standardized test (ACT or SAT). Students who have not completed one of these tests on a national testing date may schedule a residual ACT test at RMC. Contact the Office of Admissions to schedule this.

The applicant may be asked to provide the following additional information:

  • The educational philosophy of the home school;
  • The selection of instructional materials, curriculum, and textbooks;
  • The time, place, and method of instruction;
  • A personal essay;
  • Two letters of recommendation.

What are the transfer admission requirements?

  1. Students who attempt 27 or more semester credits and have successfully passed a minimum of 27 that count toward RMC general education requirements and/or an RMC established major and have a minimum GPA of 2.00 meet the requirements for regular admission.
  2. Students who attempt 27 or more semester credits and have less than 27 credits that count toward RMC general education requirements and/or an RMC established major will be reviewed by the Admission Review Committee and may be required to submit additional materials.
  3. Any student, regardless of the number of credits transferring, who has been dismissed, placed on probation, or documented as not being in good standing with any prior institution will be reviewed by the Admission Review Committee and may be required to submit additional materials.
  4. Students who have attempted less than 27 semester credits will need to submit their college transcripts, high school transcripts, and test scores to meet regular admission requirements.

Is admission open for freshmen and transfers at any semester?


Does the College offer a Post-Secondary Education Option (PSEO)?


Will the College honor AP or CLEP, and if so, what are the minimum scores to receive credit?

Yes. A student must receive at least a 3 or a 4 depending on the test taken.

Will a "D" transfer in from other colleges?


What campus organizations emphasize religious activities?

RMC is committed to the concept that faith development and academic achievement go hand-in-hand. To that end, the College – along with students, faculty, and staff – will strive to provide a variety of opportunities for students to study and grow. Throughout the College, the Christian spirit and Christian ideals are affirmed. Special emphasis is placed on the ministries of the three supporting denominations: the Presbyterian Church, the United Methodist Church, and the United Church of Christ. The College currently has the following religious organizations:

  • InterVarsity Christian Fellowship
  • Billings Catholic Campus Ministry

In addition to the above organizations, the campus chaplain holds regular services and get-togethers.

Is there a health facility on campus?

Yes. The College maintains a health service office in Fortin Educational Center on a half-time basis under the direction of a nurse practitioner and a consulting physician.

Students studying


How many credits are required to complete the core curriculum or general education requirement?

50 to 56 credits.

What requirements must students meet in order to complete a degree at RMC?

A student must complete the general education requirements, as well as the requirements for the desired major. A minimum of 124 credit hours is required prior to graduation.

How many areas of study and degrees are offered?

RMC has 50 defined majors that are available in 24 disciplines. In addition to choosing your major, you may opt to add one of our 35 minors to your degree.

Are internships, cooperatives, or study abroad opportunities available?

Internships are not required for all majors, although some do require an internship before completion. They are strongly encouraged for all disciplines. Study abroad opportunities are available through the Office of International Programs.

How many are courses are considered full time?

12 credits per semester is considered full time.

When must an academic major be declared?

Your major must be declared by the fall semester of your junior year.

Does the College offer a tutorial service?

Yes, we do. The Services for Academic Success (SAS)8 program offers free tutoring in the library three days a week; students can also arrange for private tutoring through SAS. RMC also offers a peer-mentoring program, LEAP, through the Office of Student Life.

Is physical education required? If so, can it be waived?

Yes, it is required, but it can be waived by receiving an acceptable score on the challenge exam.

Are academic scholarships available?

Yes. RMC offers scholarships based on your GPA and your ACT/SAT score. Scholarships range from $7,000 to $13,000 for first-year students and $5,000 to $11,000 for transfer students. Scholarships are renewable all four years as long as good academic progress is maintained. Calculate your potential scholarship here.

What are the College's largest academic areas?

Business, aviation, equestrian studies, sciences, education, and physical education and health.

What is the percentage of graduates that gain admission to graduate school?

Ninety-nine percent of RMC graduates are accepted to graduate school or find employment in their field of study.

Does the College have a graduate program?

We have three graduate programs. RMC has a master's of physician assistant, a master's of accountancy, and a master's of educational leadership.

How many credits does it take to graduate? How long on average does it take to accumulate these credits?

In order to graduate you must complete 124 semester hours, at least 40 of which must be upper-division credits (including 12 in a major, six in a minor), have a 2.00 cumulative GPA, and maintain a 2.25 cumulative GPA in a major. Most students graduate in four years, but it does take some students longer. To graduate in four years a minimum of 15.5 semester hours need to be completed each semester.

What major agencies accredit the College?

RMC is accredited through the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities. The Office of Public Instruction for the State of Montana accredits the education program for the preparation of elementary and secondary teachers. The Accreditation Review Commission on Education accredits the physician assistant program for the Physician Assistant ARC-PA, and the Aviation Accreditation Board International (AABI) accredits the aviation program.

What is the student-to-faculty ratio?

Our student-to-faculty ratio is 12:1.

How many full-time faculty are employed, and how many hold a doctorate or terminal degree?

RMC currently employs 63 full-time faculty and 38 part-time. Seventy-five percent of the faculty have earned the highest degree in their field.

Does RMC have an honors program? What are the requirements to be in the program?

Yes, RMC has an honors program. The program is open to students who, at completion of the second semester of their sophomore year, have achieved a GPA of 3.40 or better and are recommended by a faculty member.

The requirements for RMC honors program are the following:

  • Spring semester, junior year: Approved honors entrants enroll in HON 309: Honors Proposal Development. A single leader will bring to this course faculty guests appropriate the academic interests of the participants. Honors students will share development problems and other common concerns, producing honors proposals with research outlines and planning future coursework germane to their proposals. Only well-developed proposals will be approved for academic support and funding by the Honors Committee, although a student may submit a revised proposal during the semester.
  • Spring semester, junior year: Honors students with approved proposals will pursue courses relevant to their projects.
  • Fall semester, senior year: Honors students will commence work on their projects in HON 490: Senior Honors Project.
  • Spring semester, senior year: Honors students will register for a second semester of HON 490: Senior Honors Project. The semester will culminate in the public defense and presentation of completed projects.

What is the definition of a liberal arts education?

A liberal arts education is one that cultivates critical thinking, creative expression, ethical decision-making, informed citizenship, and professional excellence by requesting a student to take classes from a broad range of disciplines. RMC is rooted in the liberal arts, but is not a traditional liberal arts institution.

How long are the holiday and term breaks?

For the 2013-2014 school year, class breaks are the following:

  • Labor Day – September 2
  • Mid-term break – October 17 - 20
  • Thanksgiving break – November 21 - December 1
  • Christmas break – December 14 - January 5
  • Martin Luther King Day – January 20
  • Mid-term break – March 3 - 9
  • Easter break – April 18 - 21
  • Last day of classes – April 25

Is there a job placement service or career day?

Yes. The Office of Career Services provides assistance to students in career awareness and decision-making, career-educational planning, and job searching. Career Services assists students in establishing credentials, developing resume-writing and interviewing skills, and making contact with employers.



Students in residence halls

Does the College offer an option between residence halls and apartment living?

Yes. Widenhouse, Rimview, and Jorgenson Halls offer suite style living with private baths.

Do co-ed residence halls exist?

All rooms are single sex. Anderson Hall is single sex by floor.

Name the residence halls and briefly describe each.

  • Anderson Hall
    • Anderson Hall offers traditional residence hall housing for up to 75 students. Anderson Hall includes community restrooms, showers, and kitchens. The building is equipped with two student lounges, containing a large-screen TV and entertainment equipment for student use. Single, double, and triple occupancy rooms are available.
    • Amenities & Services
      • High-speed Internet
      • Furniture (desk, dresser, wardrobe)
      • Extra-long beds (36" x 80")
      • Laundry facilities
      • Shared kitchens
  • Widenhouse Hall
    • Widenhouse Hall provides suite-style accommodations. Each room has a private restroom and kitchenette complete with refrigerator, sink, and microwave oven. Three styles of rooms are available in Widenhouse: doubles, triples, and quads.
    • Amenities & Services:
      • High-speed Internet
      • Furniture (desk, dresser, wardrobe)
      • Extra-long beds (36" x 80")
      • Laundry facilities (on each floor)
      • Individual bathrooms
      • Kitchenettes (refrigerator, sink, microwave)
  • Rimview Hall
    • Rimview Hall, built in 2004, is located on the west end of campus. It accommodates 200 students in suite-style units with four private bedrooms, 1.5 bathrooms, and shared living room and micro-kitchen areas. Students must be of at least a sophomore standing to live in Rimview Hall.
    • Amenities & Services:
      • High-speed Internet
      • Laundry facilities
      • One and a half bathrooms
      • Kitchenettes (full-sized refrigerator/freezer, microwave, sink)
      • Extra-long beds (36" x 80")
      • Furniture (desk, dresser, wardrobe)
  • Jorgenson Hall
    • Double occupancy apartments with private entrances are available for students with junior or senior standing. Apartments are 728 square feet with two bedrooms, living room, full kitchen, and bathroom. Each unfurnished unit includes a full-sized refrigerator/freezer, stove/oven, double sink, heating and air conditioning, and window blinds. Heat, air, electricity, local phone, and water are included.
    • Amenities & Services:
      • High-speed Internet
      • Laundry facilities
      • Single bathroom
      • Kitchens (refrigerator, sink, stove/oven)

Are the residence halls staffed with a resident house director?

Yes. Each residence hall has residence assistants and resident directors on staff, and they are housed in each hall.

Are students allowed to keep alcoholic beverages, firearms, or pets in their rooms?

Alcohol is only allowed in Jorgenson Hall if over 21 years-of-age. No pets or firearms are allowed.

What appliances are permitted in the residence hall room?

Small appliances are allowed, but nothing with an exposed element, such as a hotplate. Check with the housing director.

Are freshmen permitted to live off campus?

As a residential College, all first- and second-year students enrolled in nine semester hours or more are required to live on campus. Exceptions to this policy include married students, students 21 years-of-age or older on the first day of fall semester classes, or students living in the Billings area with their parents or close family relatives.

How many students share a room?

We have singles (limited), doubles, triples, and quads.

Are the residence halls air-conditioned?

Rimview Hall is the only hall that has air-conditioning.

Is there a tuition or room deposit required to reserve space?

Yes, a $250 new student deposit is required to reserve your space (your deposit is refundable up until May 1).

Do the residence halls have laundry facilities, and what does it cost to use them?

Yes - no charge.

Do the rooms have private or hall restrooms?

Anderson Hall has community restrooms; Widenhouse, Rimview, and Jorgenson Halls have private restrooms.

Are students subject to curfew? How are residence halls secured for the evenings?

There is not a curfew. Entry to the residential halls requires a student ID from 10:00 p.m. - 6:00 a.m. Halls are monitored from 8:00 p.m. - 4:00 a.m. on Fridays and Saturdays. 



What athletic scholarships are available?

All sports offer scholarships at the coaches' discretion.

In what athletic association(s), divisions(s), and conferences does the College participate?

RMC is a member of the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA) and the Frontier Conference.

What intercollegiate sports does RMC offer (men and women)?

Men's athletics: football, varsity/junior varsity basketball, golf, ski racing, cross country, distance track, and soccer.

Women's athletics: varsity/junior varsity basketball, volleyball, golf, ski racing, soccer, cross country, distance track, and cheerleading.

Does the College offer an intramural program, and if so, which sports are the most popular?

Yes. The intramural athletics program offers both individual and team sport activities that include soccer, basketball, tennis, golf, racquetball, softball, and volleyball. Leisure and informal recreation such as open swimming, an indoor climbing wall, and kayak pool sessions are also offered.

What general athletic facilities exist for general student use?

  • Cardiovascular training equipment
  • Free weight room
  • Heated pool (25 yard indoor)
  • Walking/running track (indoor)
  • Racquetball and squash courts
  • Aerobics (air-conditioned dance room)
  • Gymnasiums (large and small) – limited availability during school season
  • Hot tub (pool deck)
  • Dry saunas (in both men's and women's locker rooms)


Student on campus

Financial Aid and Expenses

What are current tuition and fees? What is the current cost for room and board?

For the 2013-2014 academic year:

  • Tuition – $23,228
  • Fees – $490 average
  • Room and board – $7,430

*Note: Amounts subject to change.

Is there out-of-state tuition?


Are jobs available on the College campus?


How much are books on average per year?

Plan on spending $1,300 per year on books. You have the option to rent textbooks or sell purchased books back to the RMC bookstore.

How do I apply for financial aid?

To apply for financial aid, first complete the admission process at RMC. The next step is to complete the FAFSA at and code RMC (002534) to receive your information. The Financial Aid Office will then create a financial aid award package for you.

What scholarships may be available for my situation? Will the College bill me for tuition and fees, and when are fees due?

RMC offers merit scholarships to first-year and transfer students. For students who show a financial need, there may be additional RMC grant funding available. To apply for additional RMC funding, as well as for federal student aid, students should complete the FAFSA at and code RMC (002534).

You will receive your first bill mid-July, and the first payment (validation) is due August 1.

What types of payment plans does the College offer?

The College offers two payment methods:

  • Full payment at time of validation; and
  • Installment payment plan – charges will be divided into four- or five-month payments.


Graduation General Questions

How much is the new student deposit, and when is it due?

The $250 new student deposit is due prior to enrollment and is non-refundable after May 1.

How many buildings are located on the campus?

There are 16 buildings on campus.

What year was the College founded?

Rocky Mountain College is the oldest college in Montana and was founded in 1878.

Are there scheduled visit events for prospective students?

Yes. RMC hosts several visit day opportunities for prospective students. We are also happy to accommodate individual visits that work best with your schedule. 

Is there a mini-term or summer school?

There is a summer semester. Summer session one runs from May 6 to May 24, session two runs from May 28 to June 28, and the combined session runs from May 6 to June 28.

From what geographical area does the College get most of its students?

Fifty-two percent of students are from Montana. The rest come from 42 other states and 16 foreign countries.

What is the size of the community?

The RMC community is just over 1,000 students. The Billings area has just over 120,000.

What attractions are in reasonable distance to the College?

Billings has a 14-screen movie theater, Yellowstone County Museum, Yellowstone Art Museum, Alberta Bair Theater, Billings Studio Theater, Venture Theater, Billings Symphony, ZooMontana, Red Lodge Ski Mountain, and MetraPark concerts and exhibitions. The Billings downtown area has several great restaurants and shops.

In what ways has the campus been adapted for people with handicaps?

Most buildings are handicap accessible. Classrooms are scheduled accordingly.

What is the minority enrollment and international enrollment?

13.4 percent domestic ethnicity and 4.5 percent international.

Where can students cash out-of-town checks?

The Business Office can cash checks up to $50.

What is the ratio of enrolled males to females?

Fifty-one percent male, forty-nine percent female.

Does the College offer a first-year orientation program?


Does the College have a campus security force?

There is no security force, but the College does have a campus safety program with a full-time director.

Does the College provide overnight housing for prospective student visits?

There is limited availability – please contact the RMC Visit Coordinator (406.657.1026) well in advance to arrange an overnight stay in the residence halls.

Will the College accommodate special service needs such as diets, medications, psychological counseling, etc.?

Yes. Counseling services are available to all students. The campus counselor offers support for students experiencing personal, social, or adjustment difficulties. The campus counselor also sponsors special events and programming within the College community, and can provide referrals to community resources.

For students with special dietary needs, accommodations can be arranged through Sodexo, our food services provider.

Who are some well know graduates/alumni?

  • Chris Horn – NFL wide receiver
  • Bill Bowers – Broadway actor
  • Jason Earles – Disney's Hannah Montana TV show

Does the College have a toll-free phone number?