The RMC Debate program has developed into an international presence in the collegiate debate community through outreach and competitions. Students develop critical thinking, advocacy, and speaking skills in an intercultural environment. With debate opportunities in Greece, Ireland, Morocco, Mexico, Canada and all over the U.S., students can develop a network all over the world while in college.
The RMC Debate team competes in British Parliamentary debate. Any professional speaking, debating or leadership activities prepare you for this type of debate competition. Participating and competing on the RMC Debate team helps prepare you for a focused graduate program, law school, or any job in education.
Rocky Mountain College has a long standing tradition of debate. Intercollegiate debate has been a part of this campus since the 1970s. We have continued the tradition of debate travel all over the the northwest, Wyoming, Colorado and California but have expanded our region to include international competitions.
The RMC Debate team has more recently established a tradition of debate education outreach and public debates on campus. A debate serves as a platform for an extensive discussion of a topic. We are active in the student community at Rocky Mountain College.
The RMC Debate program competes in the British Parliamentary debate circuit in the U.S. and abroad. The debate style is a combination of extemporaneous speaking, impromptu, LD debate, and platform speaking events. Any experience on a high school forensics team, speaking events for FFA or BPA, student government, youth legislature, or any other professional speaking activity are a good preparation for this style of debate. Participating in the RMC Debate program also serves students who are interested in political science, student leadership, communication studies, pre-law or graduate school.
To apply for an RMC Debate Scholarship, please schedule a scholarship interview with the director of debate to determine the award.
Beyond the Podium
The RMC Debate team has established relationships with tribal colleges all over Montana including Little Bighorn Community College, Chief Dullknife Community College, Fort Peck Community College, and Stone Child Community College. We practice public speaking and argumentation skills to prepare for a public debate at the local schools. Debate education is central to the RMC debate program.
Why Join Debate?
- Compete at national and international tournaments
- Improve writing skills
- Become a better speaker
- Connect with hundreds of like-minded young adults all over the world
- Develop friendships that last a lifetime.
“Debate turned me from a first-year student who had no interest in competitive speaking to a person who has the confidence to speak freely about any topic in front of crowds of people. It made me a better arguer and a much better speaker.” -David Fejeran, Class of 2017
Tournament Schedule 2018-2019
September 14-16, 2018
Rimrock Classic Debate tournament
Rocky Mountain College
September 21-22, 2018
Northwest College tournament
Northwest College, Powell Wyoming
October 12-21, 2018
Morocco Debate academy
November 15-17, 2018
January 19-20, 2019
Great Salt Lake
University of Utah, Salt Lake City UT
February 2-3, 2019
Trinity College tournament
February 23-24, 2019
Pan Pacific Debate tournament
University of Hawaii, Honolulu, HI
Public Debate with Irish National Champions
Tribal College Debate workshops
Locations and date TBA
Director Shelby Jo Long-Hammond
Debate Team News
- RMC Debate hosts Irish National Champions 2018
- RMC Debate team travels to Morocco October 2017
- Rocky Mountain College Debate Team Finishes in Top Half of Athens Tournament (2015)
- Tribal College Debate to Expand Following Grant Renewal (2015)
- Rocky Debate Team Participates in Tribal College Debate (2014)
- Rocky Mountain College Debate Students Return from Tournaments in Canada and Greece (2014)
- Rocky Crosses Borders for Tournaments (2014)
- RMC Debate Team Places Second at Rimrock Classic Debate Tournament (2014)
- RMC Hosts Irish National Champion Debaters March 28 (2014)
- RMC Debate Team Returns from Ireland (2014)
- RMC Debate Team Ends Season on Top (2013)
- Tribal College Debate Program (2013)
- Kings College, New York (2013)
- RMC Hosts Collegiate Debate Workshop & Tournament (2012)
- RMC Debates in Slovenia (2010)
- RMC Wins First Tournament of the Season (2010)
- RMC Takes Top Honors at Powell (2009)
- RMC Wins Debate in Hawaii (2008)