History & Political Science
The Department of History and Political Science offers one of the most flexible and dynamic degrees at Rocky Mountain College. A minimal number of required courses allows students to take electives in a myriad of constituent fields, with ample opportunity to double major and/or minor in another discipline of interest. Students are encouraged to intern in career-related fields and to study overseas or in Washington, D.C.
In addition to core offerings in American, European, and global history and politics, students will also be challenged by a variety of exciting topical courses, which include offerings on terrorism, warfare, indigenous rebellion, and much more - thus allowing you to focus on both traditional approaches, as well as on contemporary issues affecting the world today.
Our courses emphasize careful reading, critical analysis, and lucid writing – skills that will serve you well after graduation as you pursue your career.
The study of history and politics deepens our understanding of who we are and helps us imagine who we might become. Knowledge about the past and the analysis of contemporary global politics makes us better thinkers, which in turn prepares us to be better citizens and to succeed in any profession.
Points of distinction:
- Seminar-style classes in which students engage their peers, as well as their professors in a close and intimate setting.
- Courses ranging from the local to the global, such as the history of Montana, the United States in world affairs, and global terrorism.
- Unique seminars in diverse topics like Film and Politics, The Age of Revolution, Visions of Utopia, and Indigenous Resistance.
- A multidisciplinary approach, where students are encouraged to take courses in other fields, such as environmental studies, economics, anthropology, various foreign languages, and literature.
- Distinguished faculty with unique and divergent expertise.
- The opportunity to study abroad or in Washington, D.C.
Rocky Mountain College offers the following History and Political Science majors and minors:
Bachelor of Arts
- History and Political Science
- History Education (see also Education)
- Social Studies Broadfield Education (see also Education)
- Political Science
- History Education
- Political Science (Government) Education