Academic Information & Policies


Rocky Mountain College offers two baccalaureate degrees -Bachelor of  Arts degree and the Bachelor of Science. Other degrees include the Associate of Arts degree, the Master of Accountancy, the Master of Physician Assistant Studies, and the Master of Educational Leadership.

The Semester Plan

College credit is offered on a semester basis. Courses offered in the summer session meet more frequently and for a longer period of time at each meeting. Enrollment is always for a semester or a summer session except in the case of a special workshop.

Course Hours

In general, a course for one semester hour of credit meets for a 50-minute period once a week for the semester. For each class session, the student is expected to spend at least two hours in preparation. In studio, laboratory, or activity courses, at least two hours of attendance are required weekly for one semester hour of credit. In the case of seminars or independent study courses, less class attendance may be required and a proportionately larger amount of time spent in preparation. 

Course Load

A normal load is considered to be 15 or 16 semester hours. Students in good academic standing may register for up to a total of 19 semester hours with the approval of their primary academic advisor. The advisor and the academic vice president must approve all other overload registrations. For each semester hour over 19, a student is charged an overload fee. 

Note: A student must average 15.5 semester hours for eight semesters to complete the required minimum of 124 semester hours.


Students are expected to register on the days specified in the academic calendar. Registration is not complete until financial arrangements are made with the business office. Students may add courses to their schedule during the first week of the semester. They are allowed two weeks to remove a course with no record on their transcript.

Classification of Students

Students are classified at the beginning of each semester in each academic year according to the following definitions of class standing:

Freshman A student who has earned fewer than 27 semester hours.
Sophomore A student who has earned 27 to 59 semester hours.
Junior A student who has earned from 60 to 89 semester hours.
Senior A student who has earned 90 or more semester hours.

Registration Status

  • Regular: Admission requirements fulfilled and systematically pursuing a definite course of study toward a degree. 
  • Conditional: Does not meet requirements for regular admission. Must establish regular (non-probationary) standing by the end of the first semester in residence.
  • Special: A student who is not a candidate for a degree at Rocky Mountain College.
  • Auditor: A student who attends class regularly, but does not receive credit or grade. A regular student may audit a course without charge, providing his or her course load remains within the 12- to 19-credit range.

Academic Advisors

Academic advisors are assigned to students based on their area of major interest upon entrance to Rocky Mountain College. Students are encouraged to meet with their advisors frequently to review graduation requirements, plan class schedules, and talk about their future. Students may change academic advisors at any time during the year by filing a request for change of academic advisor form, which is available in the Office of Student Records. For more information about academic advising, contact the director of academic advising at

Levels of Courses

It is recommended that students take courses at the level of their class standing (freshman 100-level, sophomore 200-level, junior 300-level, senior 400-level) provided that specific prerequisites have been met. Taking a course two levels or more above the level of class standing is not permitted, except with the approval of the instructor. All courses are further classified as either lower-division, upper-division, or graduate-level. Lower-divsion courses are those number 100 to 299; upper-division courses are those numbered 300 to 499; and graduate-level courses are numbered 500 to 699. A minimum of 40 semester hours must be completed in upper-division courses, at least 12 of which must be in the student's major. If a student chooses a minor, six upper-division credits must be completed in the minor. 

Cancellation of Courses

The College reserves the right to cancel any course at any time. Courses are sometimes canceled if enrollment is low: when enrollment is not at least six for Fall or Spring Semester courses or at least four for summer session courses.

Regular Courses

All regular course offerings are listed in this catalog. Courses cross-listed at a lower-division and upper-division level may be taken only once for credit unless otherwise noted.

The course schedule is available on CampusPortal and in the Office of Student Records. Courses for which there is small demand are typically offered alternate years or on demand. A course designated as on demand will be offered when there a sufficient number of students requesting the course, usually five or more and if suitable arrangements can be made. Students should plan their schedules carefully with their advisors to take required courses when they are offered. The course schedule is subject to change. 

Online Courses

Regular courses may also be offered as online courses during any term. They are designated on the course schedule with the section listed as ONL. Students follow the same procedure to register for an online course as they do for a regular course, although they incur an additional fee per credit. In order to begin an online course, students must sign into Moodle, the course management system. In order to login, they must have an enrollment key, which is provided by the professor. Professors will contact students on their official roster during the first days of class through the RMC email system with instructions on who to begin using Moodle and with course requirements. If a student does not receive an email from his/her professor, then the student must contact the professor to request information on the course. Online course grades are reported through CampusPortal along with all other regular course grades.

Special Courses

Guidelines: Special courses use the following workload standards for a credit: 45 hours of student time for each semester hour or completion of certain prescribed amounts of work or readings as determined at the beginning of the course.

The faculty member in charge is responsible for evaluating the student through oral or written tests, through the presentation of a paper or completed project, or by any other sound means of evaluation.

All special courses are to be taken seriously as academic courses based on advanced planning. They are to be completed by the end of the semester or term when they are started, just as regular courses. Incomplete grades will be given only under unusual circumstances and with the instructor's consent. See "grades" under "academic policies" in the "academics" section of this catalog.

Note: Under special circumstances a student may take a regular course by arrangement with a member of the faculty if the student is legitimately unable to attend the regular class sessions and has the instructor's approval. In this case, the student should enroll in the course under its regular number, not under directed reading or any other special course number. The guidelines for special courses, however, must be followed when regular courses are taken by arrangement.

Special Topics 180, 280, 380, 480, 580, 680

Faculty members may arrange, with the approval of the curriculum committee and the academic vice president, to offer under a special topics number courses not regularly listed in the catalog.

Field Practicum 291, 391

All programs may offer a field practicum for one to three semester hours, with the possibility of being repeated up to a total of 12 semester hours. There must be a faculty evaluation of the student's performance, with a statement of the evaluation to be kept with the student's records. Practicum courses are graded on a pass/no pass basis. 

Internship 450

An internship offers a learning experience in a workplace setting for juniors and seniors in any major. To be eligible for an internship, a student must have a cumulative GPA of at least 2.00 and major GPA of at least 2.25. Only internship credits required by a major may be completed for a letter grade; additional internship credits up to a total of 12 may be completed on a pass/fail basis and applied toward a degree. Internships should be related to the student's major or minor area of study and are arranged among a faculty member, the student, and an employer with the assistance from the career services office. In majors that do not require an internship, a maximum of three credits of internship may be completed for a letter grade; additional internship credits up to a total of 12 may be completed on a pass/fail basis and applied toward a degree. A completed internship learning contract is required prior to registration. Contracts and more information about internship requirements are available from the career services office. 

Seminar 490, 590, 690

Many academic programs offer a seminar as a capstone course carrying two to three semester hours of upper-division credit. Admission is restricted to juniors and seniors or master's program students. 

Independent Study 299, 499

Independent Study 299 is offered to freshmen or sophomores only by initiation of a faculty member and approval of the academic vice president. Its purpose is to allow work outside of the regularly offered course schedule in exceptional circumstances.

The purpose of Independent Study 499 is to allow a superior student to devise and pursue independent study in an area agreed upon in consultation with a faculty member who will supervise the study, subject to approval of the academic vice president. In order to qualify for such study, a student must 1) major or minor in the program, 2) be a junior, senior, or master's program student, and 3) carry a GPA of at least 3.00. Each independent study is one to three semester hours.

Please note there is a $196 per credit fee for an independent study.

Nontraditional Credit

Recognizing that valuable learning often takes place outside the classroom, the College offers the opportunity to obtain academic credit for nontraditional learning experiences within certain guidelines. Nontraditional credits are not accepted in transfer from another institution. 

Nontraditional credit is posted on the transcript after successful completion of one semester of full-time enrollment. Students may apply for nontraditional credit up to the end of their second term of attendance at Rocky Mountain College for work completed prior to enrolling at the College. Applications after the second term of attendance will not be accepted; nontraditional credit will not be granted for work done while enrolled at Rocky Mountain College.

Nontraditional credits granted are indicated on student transcripts with a grade of "P." There is a $40/credit transcripting fee. In all cases of nontraditional credit, it is the responsibility of the student to provide sufficient evidence to clearly show that he or she has earned the credit. For further information concerning the application process for nontraditional credit, including guidelines for specific materials that need to be submitted for each type of nontraditional credit and associated fees, contact the Office of Student Records at 406.657.1030. Details about the types of nontraditional credit that can be earned at Rocky Mountain College follow.


Rocky Mountain College recognizes, for college credit, successful completion of one or more of the general examinations or subject examinations of the College-Level Examination Program (CLEP). Credit may also be earned through the Defense Activity for Traditional Educational Support (DANTES) program. Any CLEP or DANTES examinations for credit must be completed by the end of the second semester of enrollment at Rocky Mountain College. More information is available through the Office of Student Records at 406.657.1030.

Credit for Military Experience and Training (non-ROTC course work)

Credit is evaluated based on the American Council on Education (ACE) recommendations for credit for military experience. Students should submit their information to ACE for evaluation. Once the ACE evaluation is returned, it should be brought to the Office of Student Records who will then evaluate the ACE recommendations and make determinations about which credits will transfer to Rocky Mountain College and how those credits will count toward graduation requirements.

Credit for Advanced Learning in High School

College credit is awarded for advanced work in high school through the advanced placement (AP) test of the College Entrance Examination Board and International Baccalaureate diplomas.

Advanced Placement Program

In order for credit to be granted by Rocky Mountain College, the institution must have a copy of the student's score sheet sent directly from the College Board Advanced Placement Program. Use 4660 as the Rocky Mountain College code.

Rocky Mountain College uses the American Council on Education (ACE) guidelines for determining the minimum score requirements for college credit on each AP exam.

International Baccalaureate Program

Rocky Mountain College recognizes the standards set by the International Baccalaureate Program (IB) for awarding college credit. Contact the Office of Student Records at 406.657.1030 for more information on how IB credits transfer to Rocky Mountain College.

Credit for Prior Learning

This category of nontraditional credit is only appropriate under restricted and unusual circumstances; it applies to situations where students can document college-level learning in disciplines for which there is no corresponding course to challenge at Rocky Mountain College or any appropriate external examination, such as CLEP or DANTES.

The Academic Standards Committee is responsible for making final decisions about the granting of credit for prior learning; those decisions are typically made after consultation with appropriate faculty from within the College when available or from other colleges, if necessary. To earn academic credit, students are required to provide sufficient evidence to demonstrate that their learning outside the classroom is equivalent to the content of an academic course. Evidence is presented in the form of a portfolio and typically includes performance tests, essay examinations, and samples of student work. Interviews with faculty or outside experts may also be appropriate.

There is a fee of $200 for the development and evaluation of the portfolio. Credits granted are subject to a $40/credit transcripting fee. Students wishing to pursue this option should consult with the Office of Student Records at 406.657.1030 to begin the process.

Waivers and Substitutions of Program Requirements

In exceptional circumstances specific program requirements may be waived or substituted. If the requested waiver or substitution pertains to requirements of a student's major or minor area of study, an exception to the stated requirements may be granted at the discretion of the faculty in the relevant discipline, subject to the approval of the academic vice president. Waivers or substitutions related to the general education requirements are, like other exceptions to stated academic policy beyond those already noted, the purview of the Academic Standards Committee (see "Academic Standards Committee

A waiver or substitution may be granted, for example, if a student unexpectedly does not have the opportunity to meet a program requirement because of an unavoidable conflict or because of a course cancellation. Substitutions are preferred over waivers so that the student will have an opportunity to learn most or all of the material by taking another course or combination of courses. When waivers or substitutions are approved, the student must still meet the minimum credit requirement for the major or minor - the student may need to take additional elective courses in the discipline. Students are not awarded credit for waivers. Waivers and substitutions are not appropriate in cases in which a student believes he or she has already learned the material necessary for the requirement. In such cases, the student should challenge the course (see "challenge of a course" in the nontraditional credit).

International Learning Experiences: Study, Intern, Work, or Volunteer Abroad

The Office of International Programs helps students choose an international experience that best enhances their educational and career goals. Students may choose from semester or year-long exchange programs, short-term faculty-led programs, and courses in which students study on campus for the majority of the semester and travel abroad to culminate the experience. With good planning, an international experience will not delay graduation. The Office of International Programs also assists students to find internships, work, or volunteer opportunities abroad.

Rocky Mountain College's International Exchange Programs:

  • Queen's University of Belfast - Northern Ireland
  • University of Ulster - Northern Ireland
  • Shikoku Gakuin University - Japan
  • Obirin University - Japan
  • Häme Polytechnic University - Finland
  • University of Gävle - Sweden
  • Whittle College, England
  • Regents American College - London, England
  • Yangtze University - China
  • Guangxi University - China
  • Guangxi Normal University - China

Academic Policies

Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) (20 U.S.C. 1232g; 34 CFR Part 99) protects the privacy of student education records. The law applies to all schools that receive funds under an applicable program of the U.S. Department of Education.

Notification of Rights under FERPA for Postsecondary Institutions

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) affords students certain rights with respect to their education records. Those rights include:

  • The right to inspect and review the student's education records within 45 days of the day the College receives a request for access.
    • The student should submit to the registrar, dean, head of the academic department, or other appropriate official, a written request that identifies the record(s) the student wishes to inspect. The College official will make arrangements for access and notify the student of the time and place where the record(s) may be inspected. If the records are not maintained by the College official to whom the request was submitted, that official shall advise the student of the correct official to whom the request should be addressed.
  • The right to request the amendment of the student's education records that the student believes are inaccurate, misleading, or otherwise in violation of the student's privacy rights under FERPA.
    • A student who wishes to ask the College to amend a record should write the College official responsible for the record, clearly identify the part of the record the student wants changed, and specify why it should be changed.
    • If the College decides not to amend the record as requested, the College will notify the student, in writing, of the decision and the student's right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment. Additional information regarding the hearing procedures will be provided to the student when notified of the right to a hearing.
  • The right to provide written consent before the College discloses personally identifiable information from the student's education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent.
    • The College discloses education records without a student's prior written consent under the FERPA exception for disclosure to school officials with legitimate educational interests. A school official is a person employed by the College in an administrative, supervisory, academic, research, or support staff position (including law enforcement unit personnel and health staff); a person or company with whom the College has contracted as its agent to provide a service instead of using College employees or officials (such as an attorney, auditor, or collection agent); a person serving on the Board of Trustees; or a student serving on an official committee or assisting another school in performing a task.
    • A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an education record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibilities for the College.
  • The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by the College to comply with the requirements of FERPA. The name and address of the office that administers FERPA is:

Family Policy Compliance Office
U.S. Department of Education
400 Maryland Avenue, SW
Washington, D.C. 20202-5901

  • Rocky Mountain College asks that each student fill out a FERPA form indicating a waiver of his or her rights, so that staff and faculty can speak to parents or other individuals that the student identifies on the form. A student also has the right to indicate that he or she does not waive these FERPA rights and thus does not give permission for staff and faculty to share academic information. FERPA waiver forms are available in the Office of Student Records.


Students are expected to be in class regularly and promptly. They are responsible for all assignments, including, but not limited to, written papers, quizzes, class tests, midterm tests, and/or final examinations, even when ill or representing Rocky Mountain College officially in extracurricular activities, such as sporting events. 

The academic vice president may, by written notice, place students on a "excused absence only" basis in some or all classless. If, after this notice is given, students are absent from class without adequate reason, the academic vice president may drop the student from a course or courses. In the event students are dismissed under the terms of this paragraph, a grade of "F" will be recorded in each course from which the student was dropped. Excused absence-only status is originated by the faculty or Student Alert Committee through a written warning issued to the student and copied to the academic vice president.


Final examinations are given at the close of each semester. No change in the stated schedule may be made, except by the academic vice president. Faculty members shall report the final grade for each student missing a final examination as an "F" unless the academic vice president has excused the absence.

Requesting a Change in the Final Examination Schedule

Students may request exceptions to the published final exam schedule in cases where adherence to the published schedule would cause undue academic hardship. For example, a student may request the rescheduling of a final exam when the published schedule would require the student to take more than two final examinations on a single day. Since the final examination schedule is published well in advance, exceptions related to personal/travel reasons will not be granted.

Requests for exceptions to the published schedule are initiated through the Office of the Academic Vice President, and an official request form may be obtained therefrom. Requests will be granted only upon the approval of the academic vice president and the course instructor. Completed forms indicated instructor approval must be returned to the Office of the Academic Vice President prior to the earlier of the scheduled examination time or the requested alternate examination time.

Addition of a Course or Change of Section

Necessary registration changes, such as a change in a course or section, may be made by adding during the first week or dropping by the end of the second week at the beginning of the fall or spring semesters. Students may not earn credit in any course for which they have failed to register. 

Withdrawal from a Course

A student may withdraw from a course with a grade of "W" up to and including the last day to drop a class as published in the academic calendar. An exception to this date occurs for classes that only meet for part of the semester. For these classes, the student may withdraw from the course with a grade of "W" up to and including the day of the halfway point in the course. After that day, a student who withdraws from a course shall receive a grade of "F" in that course. (Students who officially withdraw from the College are not subject to this regulation.) It is required that both the student's advisor and the instructor concerned initial the withdraw from obtained from the Office of Student Records. Failure to withdraw in the official manner will result in a grade of "F". No withdrawal is official until the proper form as been filed in the Office of Student Records.

Withdrawal from College

Students who elect to withdraw from all of their classes after the term as started are required to complete the process of an official academic withdrawal from Rocky Mountain College. This process must be completed after the student has validated and up to the last day to drop a class with a "W" grade. Students withdrawing must complete the Academic Withdrawal Form.

All undergraduate students are allowed one opportunity during their enrollment at Rocky Mountain College to withdraw from all classes with "W" grades after the established deadline for an official academic withdrawal but prior to the last day of regular classes. Any student who withdraws in such a manner will be placed on academic probation the returning semester (fall/spring) and must comply with all necessary requirements.

Undergraduate students contemplating withdrawing from the College must meet with the Vice President for Student Life or Associate Dean for Student Life to discuss the academic and financial implications associated with withdrawing from the College. Failure to withdraw officially, as outlined above, will result in a grade of "F" for each course.

Graduate students contemplating withdrawing from the College must meet with the director of the relevant graduate program to complete the official academic withdrawal procedure. All final grades received prior to the withdrawal date will be marked as earned on the transcript; all other grades will be marked with a "W" grade. The official withdrawal date will be the date the student submits the academic withdrawal form to the Vice President for Student Life, Associate Dean for Student Life, or graduate program director. A later day may be used if the College obtains evidence that the student who is withdrawing has attended any academically related activity such as a lecture, lab, exam, or tutorial after the withdrawal form as been submitted.

If a student leaves without official notification, the College will attempt to determine a last day of attendance. Although not required to take attendance, many faculty members do take attendance, thus allowing the College to document an academically related activity. If a last day of attendance cannot be identified and the College can verify the student attended at least one class during the semester, the halfway point of the semester will be used as the withdrawal date. Rocky Mountain College does not have a leave of absence policy.

Grade Points and Grade Point Averages

In order to determine students' scholastic averages, grade points are awarded for each hour of credit as follows: "A" - four points; "B" - three points; "C" - two points; "D" - one point; and "F" - zero points. Grades of "I," "P," and "W" are not used in calculation of the grade point average (GPA). A plus (+) or minus (-) does not change the value of the grade for calculation of the GPA.

GPA is determined by dividing the number of earned grade points by the number of attempted credit hours. The GPA is used in determining academic probation and suspension, eligibility for intercollegiate athletics, scholastic honors, and granting of degrees.

GPA is understood to mean cumulative GPA unless indicated for one semester. Grade point average for all uses in the College shall be based on all courses accepted in transfer and all courses attempted at Rocky Mountain College. When a student repeats a course, the most recent grade will count toward GPA calculation. The previous grade will remain on the transcript, but will not be calculated in the GPA.

Course Grades

Grades in courses are recorded as follows: "A" - outstanding; "B" - above average; "C" - average; "D" - below average; "P" - pass; "NP" - no pass; "F" - unsatisfactory; "I" - incomplete; "X" - no grade received from the instructor; and "W" - withdrawn. All grades except "I" and "X" become a matter of permanent record.

The "I" grade is given only under unusual circumstances and with the instructor's consent. Also, the student must have completed a minimum of 50% of the coursework. The instructor must file a completed "Request for Grade of Incomplete" form in the Office of Student Records before the assignment of a grade as "I". An "I" must be made up within one year. After one year it will be permanently recorded as an "F".

Grades not received from faculty by 10 days after the grade due date will be recorded as "F". Grades submitted to the Office of Student Records are final and may not be changed except upon request by the instructor. No grade change can be made more than one year after the end of the semester in which the course was taken.

If a student believes that their grade is incorrect, the student should first discuss the matter with their instructor. The student has the right to appeal their case to the Academic Standards Committee in care of the registrar if talking to the faculty member does not resolve the issue.

*Grade changes made after the due date of each semester final grades will have no effect on a student's satisfactory academic progress.

Pass/No Pass Grading Option

Junior and senior students may elect to take one course on a pass/no pass basis each semester of their last two years in residence at Rocky Mountain College. The student must indicate (to the Office of Student Records) a decision to enter a course on a pass/no pass basis within two weeks of the beginning of the semester. Faculty will turn in letter grades to the Office of Student Records. To receive a grade of "pass" in this context, the student must achieve a grade of "C" or better. Students are warned that many graduate and professional schools equate a grade of "P" with a grade of "C" in determining admission to the school.

The following courses are graded on a pass/no pass basis only: COM 247/447, IDS 220, music recital courses (MUS 020, 030, 040), varsity sports (HHP 100), physical education activity courses (PAC), and all practicum courses. All other courses will be graded on the regular basis ("A", "B", "C", "D", and "F") unless noted. The academic vice president must approve any exceptions. A grade of pass/no pass is not used in computed GPA.

Report of Grades

Mid-semester grade reports are progress reports and thus provide students with excellent opportunities to consult with instructors and advisors about problems they may be having. Mid-semester grade reports are available on CampusPortal after mid-term break. These grades are not recorded on transcripts. Only final grades are recorded on transcripts in the Office of Student Records. Final grades are available on CampusPortal approximately one week after the end of the term. See the academic calendar for grade due dates.

Dean's List

Students who carry a full load (12 or more semester hours) of work graded with grade points and who earn a GPA of 3.60 or higher for the semester are placed on the Dean's List. Those with a GPA of 4.00 for the semester are recognized with high honors. Only students who complete all credits attempted for the semester are eligible for these lists.

Graduation with Honors

Honors at graduation are designated for associate's of arts, bachelor's of arts, and bachelor's of science degrees as follows: summa cum laude, GPA 3.80 or above; magna cum laude, GPA 3.60-3.79; and cum laude, GPA 3.40-3.59. An honors designation is not calculated for those earning as master's degree.

The grade point average for graduation with honors is computed on the basis of all courses attempted, both at Rocky Mountain College and at any other college. The GPA for all work taken at Rocky Mountain College must be above the level for the honor awarded.

Honors listed in the graduation program are calculated through the December prior to graduation ceremonies. Honors at the point of graduation will be noted on both the diploma and on the student's transcript.

Application for Graduation

All students intending to graduate (includes both December and May graduates) must file an application for graduation by April 1 of the previous calendar year. There is a $100 graduation application fee, which includes the diploma, diploma cover, and commencement cap and gown. Applications received after April 1  will incur an additional late graduation application fee of $25. After February 1, any students filing an application for graduation will not be allowed to participate in the graduation ceremony. Graduation ceremonies for the academic year are in May.

Students will be permitted to participate in graduation ceremonies under the following conditions:

  • Applications must be received by the respective deadline. See above for timeline.
    1. Applications must be completed by the student and signed by the advisor.
    2. Advising sheets for each major, minor, and general education requirements must be completed and attached.
  • All coursework must be scheduled for completion by the end of the last term of enrollment. Students applying for spring graduation may complete a maximum of six credits in the summer term in a plan and enrollment documentation is submitted to the Office of Student Records by March 1. For Aeronautical Science majors, required flight labs may not be part of the six credits.
  • Student accounts must be in good standing by April 1.


Transcripts are available online through National Student Clearinghouse. Transcripts are $9 and there is a $2.25 online processing fee. More information can be found on the transcripts page. Transcripts will not be issued for students who are not in good standing with the College.


Official diplomas are awarded upon completion of all degree requirements at Rocky Mountain College. Individuals who wish to order replacement copies of previously awarded diplomas may do so by submitting a written, signed request to the Office of Student Records. A replacement fee of $35 is required along with the request. Replacement diplomas will reflect the date in which the degree was awarded; however, it will include the signatures of the current officers of the College.

Academic Progress Committee and Student Appeals

The Academic Progress Committee is the body of original jurisdiction for student requests to be granted exceptions to the standard academic policies of the College. The Academic Progress Committee has jurisdiction over all such matters unless specifically noted otherwise in this document (see "waivers and substitutions of program requirements", "academic standing", and "academic integrity"). Common examples of student requests appropriate to the Academic Progress Committee involve exceptions to the general education requirements and other requirements for graduation, exceptions to the College's drop/add policy, and exceptions to the College's policy related to participation in graduation ceremonies.

Requests for exceptions must be submitted in writing to the Office of Student Records. Requests should be accompanied by a letter of support from the student's academic advisor or an appropriate faculty member. Students should take steps to ensure that their requests reference specific polices to which they are seeking exception and specific desired remedies.

Decisions of the Academic Progress Committee may be appealed to the academic vice president, who will determine if all relevant policies have been followed, not address the merit of the appeal. Any appeal must be submitted, in writing, within 10 days of the receipt of the Academic Progress Committee's decision.

In some cases, requests made of the Academic Progress Committee may be referred to an appropriate faculty member and/or academic division chair for informal resolution. In such cases, students should provide documentation of the results of said attempts should they desire to reinstate their request with the committee.

Satisfactory Academic Progress

Academic Standing: Probation and Suspension

Students at Rocky Mountain College are expected to make progress toward attaining their degree. The criteria for good academic standing are as follows: 

If: Then:
Term GPA 0.00 Academic suspension for the following term (S)
Term GPA < 2.00 and/or cumulative GPA is < 2.00 Academic probation for next term (P)
Term GPA < 1.00 and cumulative GPA is < 2.00 Academic suspension for next term (S)
Probation term: Term GPA > 2.00 and cumulative GPA < 2.00 Academic probation for the following term (P)
Probation term: Term GPA < 2.00 and cumulative GPA < 2.00 Academic suspension for next term (S)
Readmitted by appeal, following pending suspension Academic probation for next term (P)
Upon second suspension or pending suspension status Dismissal (D)

Note: For purposes of probation and suspension, summer sessions do not constitute “terms.”

A student may appeal an academic suspension by indicating in writing the reasons why he or she did not make satisfactory academic progress, submitting a letter of support from a faculty member or academic advisor and submitting a plan for improvement. The appeal must be made by the deadline provided in the notification of suspension and directed to the Office of Student Records. The Office of Student Records will forward appeals to the Academic Standards Committee for review. If the appeal is granted, the student’s standing will become probationary.

Students on probation must adhere to certain guidelines. These include enrolling for no more than 13 credits, meeting weekly with his or her academic advisor and seeking assistance from other resources.

Students on probation are not eligible for participation in the following activities: intercollegiate athletics; intramural athletics; speech and debate; flight team; equestrian team; theatre productions; band, choir, and music ensembles; student government; study abroad; and College-sponsored trips.

Although a probation cannot be appealed, students can appeal ineligibility for activities. Students must make a written appeal to the Academic Progress Committee outlining the reasons activity eligibility should be restored. The appeal must be accompanied by letters of support from the academic advisor, the activity sponsor or coach, and a faculty member other than the academic advisor or activity sponsor/coach. If a student is placed on probation due to cumulative GPA, activity eligibility can be restored by sufficient progress during summer and/or inter-terms that raises the cumulative GPA above 2.00. Summer grades and earned credits do not otherwise affect probation.

Suspended students may be readmitted after one semester’s absence. Readmission requires submission of an application for readmission to the Office of Student Records, and consideration by the Academic Progress Committee. If readmission is approved, the probationary status shall be continued until good academic standing is restored.

If a student is suspended a second time, the student is dismissed with no further opportunity to enroll at Rocky Mountain College.

Students may lose eligibility for financial aid while on probation or suspension. Check with the Office of Financial Aid for more information.

Probation, suspension, and dismissal are permanently recorded on the student’s transcript.

Eligibility Policy

Students on probation are not eligible for participation in the following activities: intercollegiate athletics; intramural athletics; speech and debate; flight team; equestrian team; theatre productions; band, choir, and music ensembles; Enactus; student government; study abroad; and College-sponsored trips. Although probation cannot be appealed, students can appeal ineligibility for activities.

If a student is placed on probation due to cumulative GPA, activity eligibility can be restored by sufficient progress during summer and/or interterms that raise the cumulative GPA at or above 2.00. Summer grades and earned credits do not otherwise affect probation.

Academic Integrity

Academic integrity at Rocky Mountain College is based on a respect for individual achievement that lies at the heart of academic culture. Every faculty member and student belongs to a community of learners where academic integrity is a fundamental commitment. This statement broadly describes principles of student academic conduct supported by all academic programs. It is the responsibility of every member of the academic community to be familiar with these policies.

Basic Standards of Academic Integrity

A student's registration at Rocky Mountain College implies agreement with and requires adherence to the College's standards of academic integrity. These standards cannot be listed exhaustively; however, the following examples represent some types of behavior that violate the basic standards of academic integrity and which are, therefore, unacceptable:

  1. Cheating: Using unauthorized notes, study aids, or information on an examination; altering a graded work after it has been returned, then submitting the work for re-grading; allowing another person to do one's work and submitting work under one's own name; submitting identical or similar papers for credit in more that one course without prior permission form the course instructors.
  2. Plagiarism: Submitting material that in part or whole is not entirely one's own work without attributing those same portions to their correct source; not properly attributing words of ideas to a source even if not quoting directly; quoting from another author's writing without citing that author's work, including material taken from the Internet, books, and/or papers; citing, with quotation marks, portions of another author's work, but using more of that work without proper attribution; taking a paper, in whole or part, from a site on the Internet or a "library" of already-written papers; copying work from another student.
  3. Fabrication: Falsifying or inventing any information, data, or citation; presenting data that was not gathered in accordance with standard guidelines defining the appropriate methods for collecting or generating data; failing to include an accurate account of the method by which the data was gathered or collected.
  4. Obtaining an unfair advantage: (a) Stealing, reproducing, circulating, or otherwise gaining access to examination materials prior to the time authorized by the instructor; (b) stealing, destroying, defacing, or concealing library materials with the purpose of depriving others of their use; (c) unauthorized collaboration on an academic assignment; (d) retaining, possessing, using, or circulating previously given examination materials, where those materials clearly indicated that they are to be returned to the instructor at the conclusion of the examination; (e) intentionally obstructing or interfering with another student's academic work; or (f) otherwise undertaking activity with the purpose of creating or obtaining an unfair academic advantage over other students.
  5. Aiding and abetting academic dishonesty: (a) Providing material, information, or other assistance to another person with knowledge that such aid could be used in any of the violations stated above; or (b) providing false information in connection with any inquiry regarding academic integrity.
  6. Falsification of records and official documents: Altering documents affecting academic records; forging signatures of authorization or falsifying information on an official academic document, grade report, letter of permission, petition, drop/add form ID card, or any other official College document.
  7. Unauthorized access to computerized academic or administrative records or systems: Viewing or altering computer records, modifying computer programs or systems, releasing or dispensing information gained via unauthorized access, or interfering with the use or availability of computer systems or information.

Due Process and Student Rights

Enforcement of the standards of academic integrity lies with the faculty and the academic division. In all cases involving academic dishonest, the student charged or suspected shall, at a minimum, be accorded the following rights:

  1. Be apprised of the charge(s) against him or her;
  2. Be provided with an opportunity to present information on his or her behalf;
  3. Be given the right to appeal any decision of an individual faculty member of the Academic Progress Committee to the academic vice president or judicial council. Appeals to the academic vice president must be submitted in writing within 48 hours of the student being formally sanctioned.

Appeals utilizing the Rocky Mountain College judicial process should follow the procedures outlined in the student handbook.


All proven cases of academic dishonesty will be penalized as appropriate under the circumstances. Individual faculty members may take the following actions:

  • Issue a private reprimand;
  • Issue a formal letter of reprimand; or
  • Reduce the student's grade and fail him or her in the course.

All incidents of academic dishonesty will be reported to the registrar, who reserves the right to forward the matter to the Academic Standards Committee for further action. The committee may take the following actions:

  1. Define a period of probation, with or without the attachment of conditions;
  2. Withdraw College scholarship funding;
  3. Define a period of suspension, with or without the attachment of conditions;
  4. Expel the student from the College;
  5. Make a notation on the official record;
  6. Revoke an awarded degree; or
  7. Act on any appropriate combination of 1-6 above. 

Faculty and Administrative Responsibilities 

In order to implement these principles of academic integrity, it is necessary for the administration and faculty to take certain steps that will discourage academic dishonesty and protect academic integrity:

  1. Rocky Mountain College will regularly communicate to the College community its academic standards and expectations through its institutional publications. Further, the College will encourage and promote open dialogue and discussion about issues affecting academic integrity.
  2. Instructors should inform students of the academic requirements of each course. Such information may include (a) notice of the scope of permitted collaboration; (b) notice of the conventions of citation and attribution within the discipline of the course; and (c) notice of the materials that may be used during examinations and on other assignments.

Student Records

Official academic records of students are kept only in the Office of Student Records. The information is of three types: personal information supplied by the applicant; educational records, including records from previous institutions, including high school and/or colleges attended; and scholastic records as supplied by the student's college teachers.

Information pertaining to the student's scholastic records is kept in permanent records available only to the academic vice president, registrar, the student records director, and others with the student's written consent; and in an academic profile, which includes grades, semester and cumulative averages, and progress toward the completion of degree requirements. Particularly helpful at the time of registration, the latter records are available to the student and those serving as the student's academic advisors.

Other items (for example, copies of letters sent to students regarding academic and/or social disciplinary action) are placed in the student's personal file. This information is periodically destroyed after the student has left the College and when the files are sorted for storage.

Students have the right to request the privilege of looking at their files. However, the College reserves the right to delay access to a student's personal file for a period of up to 45 days in accordance with the provisions of the Buckley/Pell Amendment. Transcripts of records will be sent only upon the individual student's written request except where grades determine eligibility for a scholarship, which the student has accepted or for which the student has applied.

Final grades will be available on CampusPortal approximately one week after the end of each term.

Rocky Mountain College has the responsibility and the authority to establish standards for scholarship, student conduct, and campus life. The policies that govern these standards recognize the College as part of the larger community bound by federal, state, and local legislation; as a unique academic enterprise, the College embraces regulations that are intended to create, preserve, and foster the freedom to learn.

Student Email Policy

Electronic mail or “email” is considered an official method for communication at RMC because it delivers information in a convenient, timely, cost effective, and environmentally aware manner. 

A RMC assigned student email account shall be the College’s official means of communication with all students on the RMC campus. The official email account will be provided in the domain. Students can expect to receive official information regarding deadlines, policy/procedure changes, and changes in degree requirements, special events, course schedule changes, regulatory changes, emergency notices, as well as other useful information from the Registrar, Office of Financial Aid, the VP of Academic Affairs, Dean of Students, and the Business Office. Students are responsible for all information sent to them via the RMC assigned email account. If a student chooses to forward their RMC email account, he or she is responsible for all information, including attachments, sent to any other email account. 

Reason for Policy

Rocky Mountain College provides students with an email account upon the student’s matriculation to the institution. This account is free of charge and currently is active as long as the student remains enrolled at the College, and RMC graduates can retain their RMC email address indefinitely. Increasingly, email is becoming the primary mode of communication between students and RMC.

Some students do not use their RMC assigned email account. Other students forward their RMC email account to an alternative account (e.g., a Yahoo account). When students do not use their RMC assigned email account, or they forward email from that account to another account, vital information is often not conveyed as the email is unopened or the associated attachments is not forwarded. 

Expectations of Students  

Students are expected to check their official RMC email on a frequent and consistent basis. The College recommends checking email daily. 

Faculty Expectations and Education Uses of Email  

Faculty members should check their email on a regular basis in order to stay current with College-related communications. Faculty will determine how electronic forms of communication will be used in their classes and should require the use of student addresses as per compliance with RMC’s email policy. 

Forwarding Email

While students may forward their RMC email to another email account, having email lost because of forwarding does not absolve the student from the responsibilities associated with communication sent to his or her official email address. The College is not responsible for the handling of RMC email by outside vendors or unofficial servers.