Rocky Mountain College educates future leaders through liberal arts and professional programs that cultivate critical thinking, creative expression, ethical decision-making, informed citizenship, and professional excellence.
Rocky Mountain College creates a culture of learning by providing distinctive academic programs designed and executed by outstanding faculty. The College is committed to the liberal arts and sciences as the basis for all academic development and as the foundation of the student experience. This commitment directs the College's core curriculum requirements and the expectations of students engaged in the various disciplines. Graduates possess knowledge and the abilities that promote professional excellence and lifelong learning through the combination of programs in the traditional liberal arts and sciences with professions-oriented disciplines.
Rocky Mountain College embraces its role as a transformational agent in the lives of students and elevates them educationally, economically, socially, and culturally. The College promotes the development of the whole person to maximize students' human and leadership potential. The College, more than the sum of its curricula and programming, affords students opportunities to engage in a wide range of curricular, co-curricular, and extra-curricular opportunities enhancing the student experience.
Shared Responsibility and Stewardship
Rocky Mountain College strives to be the embodiment of its mission. By serving as a capable steward of resources and by employing a participative and effective governance model, the College demonstrates application of the concepts expressed in its mission. Specifically, the College strives to engage in informed and ethical decision-making through the application of best practices as a means to promote organizational development and excellence. In short, the College endeavors to manifest the ideals of critical thinking, ethical decision-making, informed citizenship (from an organizational perspective), and professional (organizational) excellence. In doing so, the College models abilities, dispositions, and behaviors expected of students.
Rocky Mountain College is accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (8060 165th Avenue NE, Suite 100, Redmond, Washington 98052-3981) and by the Office of Public Instruction for the State of Montana for the preparation of elementary and secondary teachers. The physician assistant program is accredited by the Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant (ARC-PA), and the aviation program is accredited by the Aviation Accreditation Board International (AABI).
Rocky Mountain College is historically related to the United Church of Christ, the United Methodist Church, and the Presbyterian Church (USA) – denominations traditionally committed to the pursuit of knowledge, religious tolerance, and free inquiry and to such values as service, community, and character. These denominational relationships have helped to inform the mission and core themes of the College and are apparent in the College's mission to educate future leaders through liberal arts and professional programs that cultivate critical thinking, creative expression, ethical decision-making, informed citizenship, and professional excellence. Additionally, the College promotes the development of the whole person and provides opportunities to enhance students' intellectual, emotional, physical, and spiritual growth both on campus and through connections in the local and global community.
Today, our denominational relationships are most directly reflected through the Chaplain and Office of Spiritual Life. The mission of the Chaplain, to provide for the spiritual growth and well-being of the members of the RMC community, includes offering prince and programs that address students as whole persons, serving as a resource for the larger campus community, and maintaining denominational relationships. Primary objectives include creating a safe and welcoming environment for exploring faith, providing opportunities for putting faith and social justice into action, and supporting faith that is integrated with intellectual pursuits. Programming also includes spiritual care and support for all members of the campus community, collaborative projects with other RMC offices, as well as opportunities for worship and spiritual inquiry, growth, and practice.
We celebrate our church-related heritage. The early influence of three distinct religious denominations has resulted in a learning community distinguished by thoughtful inquiry, ethical decision-making, and active citizenship. All faith traditions are welcome at Rocky Mountain College, and the spirituality, convictions, and questions of all are respected.
Cindy L. Kunz, Administrator
Founded in May of 1990, the Institute for Peace Studies at Rocky Mountain College operates under a 28-member board of advisors, with the administrator and the board chair reporting directly to the Rocky Mountain College Board of Trustees. Its administrator, assisted by part-time staff, work studies, and community volunteers, works year-round to bring programs like the Festival of Cultures, Peace Village, and "We Are Women" conferences to the region. Outreach includes going into the classroom with Rocky Mountain College's international students and sharing a diversity program and bringing the "Second Step" conflict resolution curriculum to rural and reservation elementary schools. The Institute facilitates an upper-division political science class (Bross Peace Seminar) during each Spring Semester, challenging students to review areas of current conflict and areas where peace has been successfully maintained or restored. Each year, on the stage of the Alberta Bair Theater, the Institute presents the prestigious Jeannette Rankin Peace Award and the Edith Gronhovd Peace Essay Awards and features a noted peacemaker along with outstanding entertainers who come together for an evening titled "In Praise of Peace." The Institute's mission, "seeking through education to explore and promote alternatives to violence in the behavior of individuals, groups, organizations, communities, and nations," continues to attract members from a wide variety of ethnic, political, and socioeconomic backgrounds.
Speakers are available, and visitors are welcome. The Peace Institute is located in Alden Hall 103. Contact the Institute via email at email@example.com or at 406.657.1042.
The campus of Rocky Mountain College occupies approximately 60 park-like acres in a residential section of Billings. Deciduous and evergreen trees, shrubs, and perennials make the campus particularly welcoming.
- Alden Hall, 1937: This attractive stone and stucco building, the gift of the Alden Trust and founded by the late George Alden of Worcester, Mass., served as a residence hall for men until 1973. Currently, it houses faculty offices and the Institute for Peace Studies.
- Anderson Hall, 1970; 1998: A more traditional residential college experience, Anderson Hall is co-educational by floor and maintains a community-driven environment, housing up to 84 students with shared restroom facilities, laundry rooms, and kitchenette on each floor. Room are designed for two students with approximately 151 square feet and include a built-in dresser/wardrobe, desk, chair, extra-long twin bed, and Internet connections for each student. Triple, single, and small single rooms have limited availability. Yoder Lounge, a comfortable space for study, computer use, and relaxation connects Anderson to Widenhouse Hall. Anderson Hall is named for Lula Anderson, a member of the first graduating class of Billings Polytechnic Institute.
- Aviation Hall, 1989; 2012: This stucco building, located on the corner of Rimrock Road and Augusta Lane, houses the aviation program.
- Bair Family Center for the Sciences, 1981: Named for the family of Montana pioneer and rancher, Charles M. Bair, Rocky Mountain College's major science facility houses the science and mathematics disciplines and is complete with classrooms, laboratories, seminar rooms, and faculty offices. It also houses the nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectrometer. The facility was made possible by a major gift from Alberta M. Bair, daughter of Charles M. Biar, together with gifts from other donors to the Second Century Fund.
- Bair Family Student Center, 1961; 1997: Located in the center of the campus, north of the RMC Green, this structure houses the dining room, snack bar, bookstore, game room, Fraley Lounge, campus mail services, the offices of ASRMC, career services, and the office of the dean for student life. The building has been extensively expanded and remodeled.
- Billings Studio Theatre, 1971: This building affords an excellent facility for dramatic productions, as well as a commodious lecture hall, which seats 250. It was built in cooperation with the Billings Studio Theatre community drama group.
- Eaton Hall, 1909: Originally known as Science Hall, this building, the gift of a group of pioneer businessmen in Billings, houses administrative offices. The hall is named for the founders of Billings Polytechnic Institute, Lewis T. and Ernest T. Eaton.
- Educational Resource Center, 1958; 1999: This building houses the Paul M. Adams Memorial Library; computer equipped writing, data, and business classrooms; and a distance learning center. The library, now the largest part of the ERC, contains a collection of over 85,000 books and periodicals accessible via the library's computer catalog. The ERC also houses the Alice Giddings King Memorial Archives, the College's heritage archives, and collections belonging to the United Methodist Church and the United Church of Christ.
- Flight Training Operations, 2007: Aircraft with modern navigation and avionics systems provide basic training resources for students. The location at the Billings Logan International Airport provides close access to flight training and Class C airport operations.
- Fortin Education Center, 1969: Fortin Education Center houses several academic programs, a gymnasium, auxiliary exercise areas, a swimming pool, a health suite, a large lecture hall, classrooms, laboratories, and offices for faculty and administrators. It is named for Philip Fortin, a Billings businessman and philanthropist.
- Intermountain Equestrian Center: Located nine miles from campus, Rocky Mountain College contracts facilities that include two large heated indoor arenas, two extensive outdoor arenas, round pens, numerous trails for leisure riding, and top-notch stabling for 75 horses.
- Jorgenson Hall, 1964; 1998: Available to students with junior or senior standing, Jorgenson Hall offers double occupancy, apartment-style rooms with private entrances. Each double occupancy unit is 728 square feet and is offered unfurnished, but comes equipped with a full kitchen and bathroom. Amenities include a full-sized refrigerator/freezer, stove/oven, double sink, heating, and air conditioning. Local phone, Internet, and laundry facilities are also available. Students who are 21 years-of-age or older will receive priority housing consideration in Jorgenson Hall.
- Lillis Chapel, 2007 : Located in the lower level of the Bair Family Student Center.
- Losekamp Hall, 1917: This sandstone building, designed in a modified Collegiate Gothic style, was a gift of the late John D. Losekamp, a pioneer merchant of Billings. It houses the music and theatre arts programs and the Ruth and Vernon F. Taylor Auditorium, which is used for drama productions, recitals, and other special events. Losekamp houses studios, practice rooms, and classrooms.
- Morledge Facility Services Building, 2001: This structure, provided by a generous gift from Dr. Charles and Patti Morledge, houses equipment used to maintain the campus buildings and grounds.
- Morledge-Kimball Hall, 1914; 2009: This stone and stucco building, part of which formerly served as a residence hall for women, was named for the principal donors, the Morledge family of Billings, Mont., and the late Mrs. Flora Kimball of Portsmouth, N.H. This lovely facility houses twenty-two faculty offices and seven classrooms.
- Prescott Hall, 1916; 2001: This stone building was erected through the generosity of the late Amos L. Prescott of New York City. The Great Room, a large paneled room with a wood-and-beam ceiling and large fireplaces, is used for special College events. Before 1961 it served as the College's dining hall. Extensive renovations and expansions were completed in fall 2001. It currently houses administrative offices and serves as a gathering place for the campus community.
- Rimview Hall, 2004: Designed for a more independent living situation, Rimview Hall provides suite-style living with four separate bedrooms; a micro-kitchen complete with a full refrigerator, sink, and microwave; and two bathrooms in each suite. Each unit is approximately 600 square feet and opens up to an inner courtyard and is fully furnished with a desk, chair, wardrobe, dresser, extra-long twin bed, and Internet connections in each bedroom, as well as a couch and chairs in the common areas. Rimview Hall is a popular choice for students who are of at least sophomore standing. Community laundry is available on the ground floor in the lounge. Students can do homework or watch TV in this space as they wait for their laundry to be finished.
- Rocky Mountain College Bookstore, 1961; 1997: The College bookstore, stocked to meet students' needs for books and supplies, is located in the Bair Family Student Center.
- Technology Hall, 1922: This sandstone structure contains offices, classrooms, an art gallery, art studios, laboratories for the computer science program, and the College's maintenance department.
- Tyler Hall, 1930: This beautiful sandstone building designed in the Collegiate Gothic style is architecturally one of the finest on campus. This gift of Mrs. G.W. Mehaffey of Brookline, Mass., is a memorial to her father, the late W. Graham Tyler. It served until 1971 as a men's residence hall. It now houses faculty offices and facilities for the teacher education program.
- Widenhouse Hall, 1961; 1998: Dedicated in 1973 to the memory of Philip M. Widenhouse, third president of Rocky Mountain College, Widenhouse Hall houses the majority of first-year students with a capacity of 201 students who enjoy an active and social atmosphere. Floors are co-ed by room, with men and women sharing the same floor and oftentimes being neighbors. Rooms are furnished with a wardrobe/closet, dresser, desk, chair, extra-long twin bed, and Internet connections for each student. Each room is also equipped with a medium-sized refrigerator, microwave, and bathroom with laundry facilities available on each floor.