What is Orientation?
The orientation program is an experience designed to acclimate you to the social and academic atmosphere you will encounter at RMC, as well as orient you to campus. Orientation will provide you with various opportunities to interact with your classmates, as well as with key faculty, staff, and student leaders who will support you throughout your college career.
What's in it for me?
The purpose of orientation is to assist students in making a positive transition to college life by preparing them for success in the classroom and within the greater RMC community.
Through your active participation in orientation you will:
- Gain valuable insight into academic, social, and community expectations;
- Become familiar with student success resources; and
- Make positive connections with faculty, staff, returning students, and peers.
How do I participate?
To participate in orientation, you must confirm your enrollment to RMC by submitting your new student deposit of $250. Orientation is required for all first-year students.
When do I need to arrive?
Check-in for Fall 2014 begins at 8:30 a.m. on Thursday, August 21, in front of Morledge-Kimball Hall. Athletes and off-campus students should pick up their orientation folder anytime between 8:30-11:15 a.m. Please join us for lunch at 11:15 a.m. on the RMC Green.
Fall 2014 Orientation Schedule
Thursday, August 21: Your first day on campus is designed to get you comfortably moved in and to help you acclimate to your new home and surroundings. You will meet the residence life staff and resident advisor (RA) on your floor, your Campus Compass peer instructor, and other student leaders.
Thursday will include:
- Residence hall check-in
- Off-campus student meeting
- New student and family luncheon
- Registration and administrative orientation
- Student meeting
- Family orientation sessions
- President's welcome
- President's Dinner on the RMC Green
- Residence hall floor meeting
Friday, August 22: The focus of programming on Friday is academic preparation. You will have an opportunity to meet your faculty members, enjoy lunch with your academic advisor, and connect with a variety of students and staff members dedicated to supporting your academic success. There will also be plenty of time to get to know your neighbors and classmates.
Friday will include:
- Leadership, Engagement, and Achievement Program (LEAP) brunch*
- Services for Academic Success (SAS) meeting*
- Campus Compass classes
- Academic department meetings with faculty
- Community and campus employment workshop
- Pizza and bowling
*Your personal schedule will confirm if you are encouraged to attend the meeting.
Saturday, August 23: Building strong relationships on campus and in the broader Billings community is an essential component for college success, and programming on Saturday is designed to help you build these relationships.
Saturday will include:
- Campus Compass Service Day in and around Billings
- Student Life Experiences: events tailored to your individual interests
Sunday, August 24: Sunday is dedicated to rest and relaxation. You will find plenty of time to settle in, get caught up, and prepare for your first week of classes.
Sunday will include:
- Outdoor chapel service
- Yellowstone River rafting
- Annual "Welcome to RMC" dinner
Monday, August 25: Classes begin