New Student Orientation
Fall 2019 New Student Arrival and Orientation
RMC’s New Student Orientation is a four-day experience designed to:
- familiarize you with our campus and the Billings area;
- acclimate you to the social and academic atmosphere you will encounter;
- solidify your connection to the Rocky community before classes begin.
Our main purpose for Orientation is to assist new students in making positive transitions to college life by preparing them for success in the classroom and within the greater RMC community. At Orientation you will interact with your classmates, faculty, staff, and student leaders who will support you throughout your college career. You’ll explore the surrounding area, serve the community, make new friends and have a lot of fun! Scroll down the page for themes of each day.
All new students will participate in New Student Orientation August 31-September 3. Your arrival date will be influenced by any fall sport or specific program in which you are participating. Please take a look at these dates then RSVP for you and your guests’ arrival once confirmed.
New Student Arrival Days:
RMC staff will be ready to assist you at the reserved time slot listed below. Arrival at any other times will not be available.
- August 5, 2019 - Volleyball - 9:00-10:00 a.m.
- August 8, 2019 - Football - 10:00-11:00 a.m.
- August 9, 2019 - Soccer - 1:00-2:00 p.m.
- August 19, 2019 - Pre-Selected Aviation Majors - 12:00-1:00 p.m.
- August 19, 2019 - Cross Country - 12:00-1:00 p.m.
- August 23, 2019 - Golf - 1:00-2:00 p.m.
- August 23, 2019 - Cheer Squad - 1:00-2:00 p.m.
- August 30, 2019 - - 2:00-4:00 p.m. - Residence Hall Check-in for those not listed above
- August 31, 2019 - 9:00 a.m. - New students not living in the Residence Halls
Friday, August 30: Residence Hall Move-in (for those not arriving early)
On-campus students will have the afternoon and evening to get settled in your new home.
Saturday, August 31: Get Connected to Rocky Mountain College
Our official Welcome to Rocky program begins in the morning. The afternoon will have plenty of time to take care of any last-minute business, lunch with the RMC President, and social events created to get you connected to student leaders and peers. The evening’s program is designed to get you more acquainted with peers and student leaders. Families and Guests are welcome to participate in all events through the afternoon.
Sunday, September 1-Monday, September 2: Orientation Adventures
Rocky values student development, and one way to develop community quickly is through shared experiences. The Orientation Team is providing you with two options for a shared experience embedded in the whole New Student Orientation program. All new students will take part in an Orientation Adventure; you can choose the Adventure of your choice:
- Option 1 Overnight Camp Experience: You’ll participate in get-to-know-each-other games, zip-line, paintball, climbing wall, low ropes course, the blob, and a myriad of other activities at camp in the Beartooth Mountains 90 minutes from Billings. Students will sleep one night in sleeping bags in bunk houses with about 10 other students. All transportation, meals and accommodations are provided.
- Option 2 Regional Area Experience: Explore the local and regional area around Billings while getting to know your new peers through possible excursions like day-hikes, day at the lake, coffee-crawling to local coffee shops, and strolling through downtown galleries and movie theaters. Students will return to campus late Saturday night to sleep in their own residence halls then continue adventuring on Sunday. All transportation, meals and accommodations are provided for both days.
Tuesday, September 3: Academic Preparation
You will have an opportunity to meet your faculty members and academic advisor as well as connect with a variety of students and staff members dedicated to supporting your academic success.
Wednesday, September 4: Classes Begin
Starting June 1, a printable .pdf version of the details for New Student Orientation will be available. Until then, think about which Orientation Adventure you will choose and get ready for a great first-experience with us at Rocky Mountain College!