Named for its location on the edge of the Rockies, RMC is within 90 minutes of the magnificent peaks, geysers, and rushing rivers of Yellowstone National Park. It's the ideal setting to explore the outdoors, improve fitness, and learn new recreational skills.
Our classrooms have no walls. Challenge your skills in backpacking, rafting, kayaking, downhill skiing, rock climbing, ice climbing, and cross country skiing. Many recreational opportunities are designed with the beginner in mind, but plenty of opportunities exist for experienced participants as well.
The Rocky Mountain College Outdoor Recreation Program is the best program of its kind in the region – just what you would expect from a college with the reputation and vitality of RMC.
Each semester and throughout holiday breaks, students can participate in weekend trips or classes for credit. The Outdoor Recreation Program is experiential learning at its finest.
- Stand up paddleboard, canoe, and tube the Yellowstone River
- Zipline, paintball, trail ride, and mountain boarding at the Beartooth Mountain Christian Ranch
- Ice Climbing at Rock Creek Falls in the Beartooth Mountains
- Rock Climb Paradise Valley south of Livingston, Mont.
- Rock Climb Shoshone Canyon near Cody, Wyo.
- Weekend Ski Trips to Big Sky, Moonlight, & Bridger Bowl Ski Resorts
- Weekend Ski Trips to Red Lodge Mountain Ski Resort
- Easter break ski trip to Whitefish Mountain Resort
- Backpacking and hiking in the Bighorn, Snowy, Beartooth, Pryor, and Crazy Mountains
- Observe the wild horses and explore the ice caves in the Pryor Mountains
- Fall Break trips to Glacier and Yellowstone National Park
- Spring Break trip to rock climb, canyoneer, and hike in Southern Utah
Courses for Credit
- Wilderness First Aid
- Beginning Rock Climbing
- Yellowstone Hot Springs and Geysers
- Red Lodge Ski Weekend
- Bicycle the Beartooth Mountains
- Leave No Trace Outdoor Ethics
- Winter Break Ski Adventure to Banff, Alberta, Canada