The Area Coordinator position works directly with the Director of Residence Life to create a successful and supportive residence life experience for Rocky Mountain College students. The Area Coordinator oversees the daily operation of 2 residence halls. This includes but is not limited to: ensuring student safety, providing students with clean and comfortable residence hall facilities, as well as supervising staff. This position is responsible for providing leadership by promoting an atmosphere within the residential community that supports academic achievement and fosters responsible decision-making. Coordinate community and student development through social and educational programming. Provide advice and counsel for individual students, student leaders, and student groups. Participate in a campus on-call duty system. Serve on departmental and campus-wide committees. In addition, the position is responsible for professional and effective communication with students, parents, staff, faculty, and members of the campus community.
- Support and contribute to the mission and core themes of the College, as well as the mission and objectives of the Student Life division and Office of Residence Life.
- Oversee the administrative responsibilities of 2 residence halls, including opening and closing at the beginning and end of each semester and effective maintenance of all required and relevant records including but not limited to: occupancy reports, damage billing, residence hall contracts, Clery data collection, and incident reports.
- Work with the Director of Residence Life to assess and develop training manuals, educational materials, training and in-service opportunities, and protocols and procedures for the Office of Residence Life.
- Work closely with facility services, custodial staff, and the Office of Campus Safety to assess and address physical and safety needs of the residence halls.
- Oversee the development and assessment of co-curricular and extra-curricular programming in the residence halls that enhances student experience and promotes academic success. Assist in the management of the residence life programming budget.
- Respond to and address issues/concerns presented by students, parents, faculty, and staff in a timely and professional manner. This position requires a flexible schedule in order to most effectively address needs. Hours may vary and can include evenings, weekends and holidays. Additionally, Area Coordinators are expected to fulfill posted office hours to ensure availability for students.
- Work directly with student policy violations, using community standards philosophy, peer accountability, and restorative justice to educate residents and facilitate a positive and productive community.
- Develop a residential environment that promotes responsible community living and the appreciation of individual differences.
- Assume on-call responsibility for the campus on a rotating basis.
- Area Coordinators may be assigned to serve on various College committees in support of the Student Life division and Office of Residence Life.
- Area Coordinators may be assigned to oversee or advise student organizations that support and impact the residential community.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Directly supervises Resident Advisors and an Assistant Residence Hall Director. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing responsibilities; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or experience:
Bachelor’s degree required from a four-year college or university; two or more years of progressively responsible experience in residence life or higher education.
Other skills and abilities:
Excellent oral and written communication, as well as proficient typing skills, working knowledge of computer applications such as CampusVue, Microsoft Office and Google Drive; and ability to understand and operate all electronic assessments and applications used in student life.
- In addition to basic salary and benefits, the compensation package for this position includes on campus living accommodations with utilities provided, meal allowance during fall and spring semester, as well as tuition remission. Benefits include health, life, accidental death and dismemberment, short-term disability, long-term disability insurance, vacation and sick leave accrual benefits.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the duties required.
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, sit, and reach with hands and arms. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
This position requires that the incumbent live in the residence halls, in order to best facilitate processes and provide students with a healthy and productive residential community. As a result, the Area Coordinator must abide by campus and residence life policies. In addition, only legal spouses and/or dependents of the employee may reside in provided accommodations.
Rocky Mountain College
1511 Poly Drive
Billings, Montana 59102-1796
Position is open until filled.
As an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer, we encourage applications from individuals with disabilities, veterans, minorities, and women.